Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 19-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
gtmdriver
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Default Steering Box Fitment Advice Please.

I have a UVA Fugitive sand rail which had been converted, before I bought it, to rack and pinion steering using a Vauxhall Cavalier/Astra rack but retaining the Beetle ball joint front suspension and torsion tubes.

The conversion has not been done well and it suffers from bump steer, anti-Ackerman steering and a severely restricted steering lock so I intend to re-fit a standard late Beetle steering box (not the 1303 type) and tie rods.

I am not familiar with this system so can anyone tell me how the steering box is located on the torsion tube. I understand that it clamps around the upper torsion tube but is there any additional locating point such as a dowel or a bracket to correctly align the steering box?

Thanks.
gtmdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Blue72
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

There should be a small protrusion on the 'back' of the tube (i.e.: facing the rear of the vehicle) and the clamp bracket has a corresponding notch. HOWEVER....aftermarket beams (or LHD conversions) or boxes don't necessarily have that.

Also, the locating peg assumes the column is in the standard place....your alignment may be different in which case you'll possibly need to set your own position and modify steering lock stops etc
Blue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
gtmdriver
Wannabe Chat Slut

Ah! A new can of worms. I will have to modify the column anyway as the current one will be too short so that can be sorted out but where and what are the steering stops?

Old 20-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
Blue72
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

There is (or would have been, if it's not been cut off) a bracket on the beam threaded for two M8 bolts. These can be adjusted in/out to restrict the movement of the drag link at full lock in each direction.
Blue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #5
Manxdavid
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (4)

On a tube frame chassis and if you've got to re-jig the column anyway, why not centre-mount the steering box and have equal length track rods? Much better geometry and zero bump steer.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
Manxdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #6
Mr.Whippy
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

If redesigning the front steering, you need to set the rack / steering box at the right height if you want to avoid bump steer.

With the car settled on it's wheels with the driver and fuel onboard, set the rack / steering box height so that both track rods are parallel to the ground. This evens out the rod angles meaning that suspension movement has a minimal effect on pulling the steering.

Stock steering boxes can be rotated around the tube to allow for this however this also means that the steering column angle alters. On something such as a rail, an addition of one or two UJ's in the column would allow you to do this. - not quite so easy on a beetle though.

Dave.

Last edited by Mr.Whippy; 20-05-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Mr.Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #7
gtmdriver
Wannabe Chat Slut

All good advice. Thank you!

I'll go looking for the steering stop bracket.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #8
gtmdriver
Wannabe Chat Slut

The steering stop bracket and the steering box locating tags are still in position on my beam so all is well.

I must admit though that the option of centrally mounting the steering box has a definite appeal.

Thanks again to those who helped me out.
Reply Post New Thread